Tuesday, April 22, 2014

"It Starts with Food" book review:



I read this book and just finished my 1st whole30. What an experience. The book said "...if you're still feeling the same way about food after your initial thirty days, if that relationship is still too dysfunctional to feel healthy ... hang in a little longer."  Because i feel this way, i am going to "hang in a little longer". My relationship is better, but also "too dysfunctional to feel healthy". I will keep going and although i had a lot of great benefits from accomplishing the whole 30 days (wahoo) i was bloated and in pain almost all the time. So i'm starting again tomorrow but this time i'm going to add in Kefir in the morning (for probiotics) and fish oil, Vitamin D3 and Apple Cider Vinegar. I hope these things aid in digestion and that i can feel good this time around. I'm going to be very strict as far as my snacking goes also (i relied too heavily on fruit and nuts between meals, not because i was hungry, but because i was CRAVING) so, here is my plan.

Breakfast meal: Apple Cider Vinegar 15 mins before meal (because haven't you heard, Apple Cider vinegar is SO good for you! Read about all the health benefits here). Vitamins with a large meal of protein, veggies and fat AND a kefir based green drink. 

If i need a post work-out snack this can be fruit with almond butter OR veggies with Almond butter (or any other carb/protein combo). 

Lunch Meal: Apple Cider Vinegar 15 mins before. Vitamins with my meal of Veggies, protein and more fat. (probably a large salad)

Dinner Meal: Apple Cider Vinegar 15 mins before. Vitamins with my meal of Veggies, protein and more fat.

I will be avoiding most fruit and nuts because of the pain they cause my belly. A few nuts sprinkled on top of a meal is fine, but not by themselves. Also, some fruit with meals is fine but snacking on fruit is not allowed. 


Remember no scale. Weigh yourself before. Measure yourself before. Take before pictures (you'll be grateful you did) but then forget about it because it ISN"T ABOUT LOOSING WEIGHT. Its about CHANGING YOUR LIFE and it CAN be life changing. 


I will continue to do a lot with resistence training and of course training the 4 days a week for our half-marathon in July! I'm excited for the next 30 days! (and probably will extend it to 60 to make sure my gut is healed before i SLOWLY reintroduce dairy, legumes and perhaps some grains) I love that this is such a great eating plan for most ALL people! Overweight, underweight, pregnant or nursing.  If you're feeling adventurous PLEASE JOIN ME! It will be loads of fun and i will continue to post many meals to Instagram so you can have ideas of what to eat too. 

Remember, Whole30 is NOT about loosing weight. Its about changing your life AND your relationship with food. Lets get healthier and happier together!




1 comment:

  1. I haven't looked for a month or so at your blog, but that post is great. Way to set some specific goals. How's it going? How are you feeling and what are your very favorite meals these days? I sometimes wish I was joining you, but I'm afraid I'd be more stressed and angry at life than it would do me any good. I know, it's a frame of mind that I need to change. But whatever, you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete